The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has been again in the news and this time with something about which every student in Delhi as well as in entire India should worry. For the first time a large scale planned violence has broken inside the JNU campus.
The Incident According to the Eye Witnesses
According to some eye witnesses, today at around 6:00 pm a mob of around 40 to 50 people entered the university campus. All these people were masked and had sticks and rods in their hands. The mob entered the hostels went to different rooms and started beating all the people who are associated with ‘left ideology‘, say the eye witnesses.
In this attack several students including the President of JNU Students Union Aishe Ghosh as well as some professors of the University are injured. The injured are admitted to AIIMS Trauma Centre.
The JNUSU as well as some of the eye witnesses are accusing Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad’s (ABVP) of the JNU violence. While the ABVP is blaming the left wing students and is tweeting pictures of hospitalized ABVP students.
Role of ABVP in the violence Questioned
Many students as well as some activists like Yogendra Yadav have accused the ABVP for the violence.
1. The very first question which is being circulated on the social media is -if the left party has planned the attack then why is the President of the JNUSU, Aishe Ghosh, has been brutally attacked when she herself belongs to left party Students Federation of India(SFI).
2. Another thing which raises question on the involvement of ABVP in the JNU violence is the Whatsapp screenshots which are being produced on the social media. Many Whatsapp conversations tell about the involvement of some JNU teachers who guided the mob to the hostels. Though there is no official confirmation/ authenticity of these screenshots.
3. The third important thing about which ABVP is accused is the slogans raised by the ABVP members after the incident. A large number of ABVP members have been assembled outside the university campus gate and are raising slogans like “Bharat Mata Ki Jai” and other slogans like “Desh Ke Gaddaro Ko …”. Many of such slogans are termed as ‘provocative‘ by the left students.
4. Some of the eye witnesses of the incident also suggest the involvement of Delhi Police in the violence. Students have accused Delhi Police of not taking any action and reaching late without arresting anyone from the mob.
5. Some are accusing BJP of inflicting violence in Delhi as the Delhi assembly elections are approaching.
Many big leaders including the Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal & Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal have condemned the incident of JNU violence.